Jan 22, 2010

Virtual Table Tennis 3D

Virtual Table Tennis 3D is a 3D ping pong game for the Android. I won't cover the official rules of table tennis here, but in a nutshell you alternate pairs of serves hitting the ball back and forth over the net. If you fail to get the ball to bounce on your opponent's side then your opponent gets a point. Once the ball bounces on your side you have to return it or yield a point to your opponent.

The game is visually attractive with the table on a nice, hardwood floor. You control your paddle by dragging it around the screen and swiping to swing at the ball. When starting the game you'll be able to choose your country and then have to work your way up against various other countries and skill levels.

Unfortunately, the controls in the game are a pain. I don't know what to say other than it seemed to be a crap shoot as to whether my swipe would hit the ball or not. As I got better, and I didn't get much better, I was able to tell that I did have the ability to control the direction the ball went with my swipe. However, as stated, it was a crap shoot as to whether my swipe would make contact with the ball making playing a very frustrating experience. Eventually I had to settle for very basic shots just figuring I'd rather have a better chance of returning the ball than watching myself miss again and again. My best effort yielded a 10-7 loss on the easiest opponent in town. Serving eventually became pretty simple, and I got the feel that if I swipe straight up it was equivalent to sending the ball straight down the table in a line parallel to the edge of the table, but because of the 3D effect making a straight line up the screen go off of the edge of the table that felt awkward. I don't know if I'm correct or not in the assessment, once again, because the control isn't precise and that is ultimately what ruins this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment