Jan 13, 2010

QuickOffice

When I first got my Droid last November one of the deficiencies it had over my iPod Touch was the lack of ability to read PDF files. That shortcoming was quickly rectified with some free tools from the Android Market, but still it's nice to have that kind of functionality built in... especially for less technical users that might not like to have to find and determine the best tool for doing so.

I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I had the need to open a PDF and I had the choice of my free basic version of Documents To Go or QuickOffice to open my PDF. Wondering what it was I chose QuickOffice and it worked well. I then checked my programs and it wasn't there, and I didn't recall downloading it so I did some checking and I'm still a bit confused.

I can't find anything that ties QuickOffice to the Android 2.0.1 update specifically, but I do see there's been an agreement to preload it onto a variety of Android devices including the Motorola Droid. That's GREAT news and another critical step in closing the gap between the iPhone which also reads/renders these data files. Not to mention it lets me free up 7 MB of app storage for another game...

No comments:

Post a Comment